Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Stashbusting has begun....

..... I've decided to make washcloths for the paralegals/staff at the office this year for the winter holiday (take your pick, none of them apply to me) this year. And with each face cloth, I will give a bar of Robin's handmade soap. This is an effort to both save money and use up some yarn lying around so I have room for more yarn that I will SURELY purchase this fall when the new yarn comes into the Yarn Lounge (let's be realistic, ok?). I have quite a bit of the Sugar N Creme cotton lying around from this project or that, so I figure this is a good gift that won't require me to spend too much money, and if they don't appreciate it, then I won't have spent a ton of time on the washcloths. So, that's my plan.

In furtherance of my plan to spend less money and to make these washcloths, I've been trying to curb my eating out (especially at lunch time) to 1 day a week. It's hard to eat at your desk, thereby spending the whole day in the office. So, I've been eating my lunch at my desk rather quickly and then going over to the garden behind the John Marshall House.
Apparently, I am currently sitting where the man's law office used to be. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Anyway, since he has some v. nice gardens behind his house, with some lovely shade and flowers and BENCHES, I've been going over there at lunch and trying to get at least one pattern repeat done every day. I hope I can get enough clothes done by Christmas.

Ginnie Lee said that there are not enough pictures of her on this blog.

What is she looking at?

2 comments:

Sneaksleep said...

I think that's a very sane plan with the washcloths, and since you're starting now, there's a chance you might even actually finish them all in time. :) I really should follow your example about getting out of the office at lunchtime. There's a park just down the street...

Mary said...

When I was in school at MCV, and also sometimes after I graduated and was working there, I would go eat lunch and then read a book in the walled garden behind the old Monumental Church (at 14th & Broad). Very neat little respite from the city in there, and hardly anyone knows about it. And also the gardens of the Valentine museum were a very pleasant place to eat.

And for cheap, no-brainer lunches, I'd bring a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter and eat a PB sandwich every day for lunch -- I'd get two weeks of lunches for about five bucks, while some other people were spending that much on lunch every day - I just couldn't afford that when I was in school and even afterwards, working with a low salary.